[OSM-newbies] source = website?

Mike Sherman mike.sherman at earthlink.net
Fri May 29 17:59:57 BST 2009

Arlindo Pereira <nighto at nighto.net> wrote:

>I believe that the third and the fourth options would be against
>Google terms and therefore not suitable for OSM.

That's what I thought, but I thought I'd bring it up for discussion.

and Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>Mike Sherman wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I would like to see campgrounds on the map in the US and Canada.  But this question could apply to locating anything with a web page.
>
>Ask first; you never know if some campgrounds are really picky about
>lifting info from their webpage for some other purpose.

I'm planning to contact some of them that don't have the information needed.
I'm not sure what would be considered "lifting".  If they publish information
(Lon/Lat, photos, directions) on a web page, is using, not copying, that lifting?

I don't consider visually matching their areal photo with the yahoo imagery
to be lifting info.  I entered this one last night
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/1347417>

>> Is it proper to use locations derived from the business web page to locate them on the map?
>> And tag the data "source = http://website.com"
>
>Definitely cite your source; perhaps even include a url= tag to the
>campground's website if you feel so inclined.

So, assuming that using information on a web page is legal, what is the proper
tagging to use,
    source = http://website.com
    url = http://website.com
or  maybe
    source = yahoo
    url = http://website.com
If I use the aerial photo as in the example above, to find their location
on the yahoo imagery?

>Also consider offering to set up a proper map for 'em if they're
>currently showing their location with some license-encumbered (read:
>inferior) map source.  :O)

A very good idea!

Thanks,
-Mike