[OSM-newbies] Difficulty finding a relation ...

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 6 00:35:56 GMT 2009

On 05/11/2009 13:50, Tom Reavey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am doing some mapping in Northern Spain.  One of the features here is
> a section of a long distance European walking and cycling route.  This
> one is E-9 (or sometimes E9) which, when complete, will stretch from
> south west Portugal to Russia (via ten intervening countries).  See :-
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=43.3997619152069&lon=-4.65805292129517&zoom=15
>
> Obviously it will be a large collection of paths, tracks and minor roads
> so I assume that they should all be linked together as members of a
> relation.  It seems to me that (given the size of it) someone more
> experienced than I must have already created the relation and I just
> need to find how they have tagged it so that I can add my bits (and
> remove the name=E-9 tags).
>
> Unfortunately I do not know how to find the relation (I do not know what
> it would be called or where the route goes except for the parts I have
> surveyed).  Any suggestions will be very welcome.

See these pages on the wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/European_long_distance_paths
and (in German)
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Germany/Wanderwege-Netz#Fernwanderwege_.28FWW.29

It looks like there are a few different route relations for route E9,
mostly for parts in Germany.
For a route of that distance, I think its best to split it into multiple
sections, as there's a limit on the size of relations etc. Something
like one relation per region or country, maybe with a "super-relation"
to group them together.
So I think you may be best creating a new relation for the section you
are mapping anyway (and adding it to the lists on the wiki so others can
find it).

Also, from a quick look on the web and OSM, the most common form of the
ref seems to be "E9", so better to use that one (not "E-9").

Craig