[OSM-newbies] pedestrian or footway?

Charlotte Wolter techlady at techlady.com
Mon Nov 9 00:43:52 GMT 2009

Actually, Ivan, they never were automobile streets. These were
designed to be pedestrian by Abbott Kinney, the visionary who created
Venice, with its canals and walk streets, as a tribute to the Venice
of Italy. Cars were relegated to alleys and main streets.

--C

At 02:24 PM 11/8/2009, you wrote:
>El Domingo, 8 de Noviembre de 2009, Charlotte Wolter escribi=C3=B3:
> >          I was busily converting these from "residential street" to
> > "pedestrian," when I came across work by someone else who was using
> > "footway." Which do you think is correct?
>
>Welcome to the tagging wars.
>
>IMHO, it's a pedestrian highway if it *was* a street in which cars passed, =
>or=20
>it's paved and wide and flat enough for emergency vehicles to go through.
>
>=2D-=20
>=2D---------------------------------
>Iv=C3=A1n S=C3=A1nchez Ortega <ivan at sanchezortega.es>
>
>http://ivan.sanchezortega.es
>Proudly running Debian Linux with 2.6.30-1-amd64 kernel, KDE 3.5.10, and PH=
>P=20
>5.2.11-1 generating this signature.
>Uptime: 23:14:45 up 14 days,  6:39,  4 users,  load average: 0.90, 0.84, 0.=
>82

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
techlady at techlady.com

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that
would affect the first three freedoms.