[OSM-newbies] newbies Digest, Vol 33, Issue 25

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 20:37:01 GMT 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Aspen Swartz <aspendel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think my personal conclusion after thinking about this way too much,
> is that living street should be deprecated, and tagged instead as
> highway=pedestrian and type=living street.  It's clearly too specific,
> to the people familiar with it, to be used outside of Europe.

As it was explained in some previous posts, the main difference
between pedestrian and living street is the access or not for motor
vehicules. "Living street" is a legal status created in some european
countries to have something between the residential areas with a
reduced speed limit (usually 30kmh instead of the default 50 kmh in
urban zones) and pedestrian streets not accessible for cars. But the
rules are not always exactly the same for all countries (e.g. the
speed limit of a living street). It is free for other countries to use
it if they have a similar status.
Have also a look on this wiki page for country-specific access restrictions:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions

Pieren