[OSM-newbies] tertiary dirt roads?

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Wed Nov 25 08:51:09 GMT 2009

2009/11/25 Russ Phillips <russ at phillipsuk.org>:
> On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 20:21 -0700, James Ewen wrote:
>
>> > Do not tag for the renderer.
>>
>> You know something, I'm getting really sick of that statement. Nothing
>> personally against you, just the statement.
>>
>> I can not tag elements in the OSM database without tagging in a way
>> that someone might construe as being "tagging for the renderer".
>>
>> If I use a highway tag, I am tagging for the renderer, since just
>> about every renderer out there will render the highway.
>
> When people say "Don't tag for the renderer" what they generally mean is
> "don't tag it incorrectly just to make it show a particular way in the
> renderer"
>
> As an example, mapnik renders "landuse=industrial" in a pinkish colour.
> It would be wrong to tag a flower bed as "landuse=industrial" just so
> that mapnik would render it pink.
>
> Russ

I the road is the main road to a settlement, of more than say 50
people its probably a terirary road, (or even hight grade) no matter
what its made out of.

I've heard in Africa and South America of large towns with several
thousand people where this is very close to being true.

If it is the main road, tag it as such, then tag the surface to be
closer to the truth.

Peter.