[OSM-newbies] tertiary dirt roads?

James Ewen ve6srv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 15:25:43 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 1:51 AM, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:

> I the road is the main road to a settlement, of more than say 50
> people its probably a terirary road, (or even hight grade) no matter
> what its made out of.

Again, these are forestry roads out in the bush used to access
resource based sites. No people for miles around except those engaged
in work related to the industry.

There are many roads around my area that connect the City of Edmonton
(pop >500,000) with St. Albert (pop >50,000), but I would not
automatically tag those as tertiary or higher simply based on the
population of the two communities that they join. Tagging the roads
between these cities has been done based on the type of road, and it's
design.

I want to do the same with the private roads out in the bush, tagging
the higher grade roads designed to carry larger loads at higher speeds
at a higher level than the smaller roads or tracks through the bush.

I know I can tag anything any way I like, but the basic fundamentals
of this discussion are to try and come up with a universal consensus
so that the information stored in the map database is universally
understood. One should not have to change their expectations about
what the information is trying to convey as they move from one area of
the map data to the next.

James
VE6SRV