[OSM-newbies] Question about roads to businesses

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Fri Apr 9 17:08:35 BST 2010

Oftentimes, non-residential buildings (both office and retail) have paved
areas that lead to them, usually with parking spaces along those ways.
I'm reasonably sure they should be tagged highway=service, but should they
use the service= tag also?  I've mostly been tagging roads that go up to
the building's entrances as service=driveway; roads that only go along
parking spaces (i.e. they're not the main ways in and out of the
building's parking area) are tagged service=parking_aisle, and others
(maybe they go behind the building or something) as just highway=service
with no service= tag.

Here's an example of the sort of thing I've been doing:
http://osm.org/go/ZcIqAPUuQ-- , specifically the parking area in front of
the Giant.

Does this seem reasonable?  I feel a little weird about the
service=driveway part, but I also feel like the roads deserve some
clarification of the type of service roads they are.  What sorts of things
do other people do in these circumstances?

Also, as a side note, I've been tagging most such roads as
access=destination.  This seems reasonable to me (they're not throughways;
they're privately-owned areas that the owners allow customers and
employees to use), but it makes parts of the Mapnik-rendered map really
blue, and I haven't seen a lot of evidence of other people doing anything
similar.  Any thoughts on this?

--- --
String literal too long (I let you have 512 characters, that's 3 more than
ANSI said I should)
                       -- Apple MPW C Compiler error message