[OSM-newbies] Locking tags is it possible?

Ramey zephyr at cryptotrope.com
Thu Apr 29 22:11:45 BST 2010

If you want to serve it up on your own server, I would assume you'll
download the planet.osm file, render it and serve your tiles.  So, the
only way modifications to the tags would be a problem is if YOUR
planet.osm file is publicly available.  You don't have to
automatically grab the new planet file every week, you could grab it
every month, say, and then verify it before rendering it.  If you see
that things have changed and they don't make sense, edit them back to
how they should be, and then render it.  I don't really see the
problem that makes OSM unusable for your application.  The problem is
starting out with known good data, and then only accepting updates
that still seem good, or fixing the changes if they don't reflect
reality.