[OSM-newbies] Splitting streets into one ways--too much?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Dec 9 05:38:07 GMT 2010

On 12/08/2010 05:10 PM, Kenneth Pardue wrote:
> Yes, in this case there is a physical barrier.  On a semi-related note, on another part of town there is a 4 lane highway.  Parts of the highway are separated by a median, and other parts bring both eastbound and westbound lanes together, with a turning lane separating them.  That seems even more valid than the residential roads to split into two separate ways, but there isn't technically a barrier separating the lanes.  Make it two ways or merge into one where there is no physical barrier?  I'm thinking the former.

In the US, a center lane bordered by double-yellow lines on both sides
is the same as a median and can't be legally crossed or used as a turn
lane (as opposed to bordered by a solid yellow line with broken yellow
on the inside, aka a bidirectional turn lane; solid yellow line with
broken yellow on the outside, ie a bidirectional passing lane (aka
suicide lane); or double-broken-yellow as found on lanes that change
directions based on time of day or signals).

If it's an open median (ie, double-solid yellow lines on both sides),
then I'd mark it as two separate roadways, since that's what it
functionally is; otherwise, one roadway.