[OSM-newbies] Splitting streets into one ways--too much?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 16:21:32 GMT 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 6:38 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> In the US, a center lane bordered by double-yellow lines on both sides
> is the same as a median and can't be legally crossed
>

> If it's an open median (ie, double-solid yellow lines on both sides),
> then I'd mark it as two separate roadways, since that's what it
> functionally is; otherwise, one roadway.

Until now, the "rule" in OSM was to say "we separate only if it physically
impossible to turn", not legally.
If you have a barrier, land grass, etc... separate.
If it is just a yellow or white single or double painted line or a traffic
sign, then you draw lanes in OSM, not roadways as defined by the tag
"highway". I'm not against drawing lanes but then use another tagging
schema.

Pieren