[OSM-newbies] Splitting streets into one ways--too much?

Thu Dec 9 08:45:07 GMT 2010

I generally agree that it should be two one-way ways where it matters for
intersections. That is, if there are routinely roads that intersect with
only one direction or the other, it's easier than creating all those
no_*_turn restrictions. There is also the issue of correctly prohibiting
U-turns where not physically possible.

Do remember to adjust the "lanes=" value as needed when combining or
splitting ways. Remember it's the total number of lanes that make up the
way. e.g. A single two-way street with two lanes each direction plus a
center-turn lane is lanes=5. The one-way ways become lanes=2 after the
split. Also, if there are turn restrictions in place, make sure to adjust
them to work correctly with the new dual ways.

This brings up another issue. How should we tag the type of divider present
on a two-way street (that we do not want to split into one-way streets)?
How about:

divider=
         none (implication if tag not present)
         center_turn