[OSM-newbies] Splitting streets into one ways--too much?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Dec 9 05:29:44 GMT 2010

On 12/08/2010 09:03 AM, Kenneth Pardue wrote:
> I'm working in my local area using the new Bing imagery.  It really allows me to see much greater detail and to add that to OSM.  There are a number of residential streets in my locale that are separated by a median.  Traditionally, I've converted such streets into two one way lanes.  Of course this is particularly useful in areas like interstates or large highways, but I'm wondering if I'm taking it too far by doing it to the residential streets in my area?  At what point is an effort for absolute accuracy go to far?
>
> See the area, and my edits, here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=31.27966&lon=-92.48732&zoom=17&layers=M

I don't believe so, since it gives people a basis for more detailed
mapping (driveways and addresses, since both are typically only
accessible from one side of the median).  For navigation purposes, this
information is insanely useful since routing engines that can be
configured to avoid U-turns (Garmin Oregon, for example) can find a
better route that avoids playing Ring-Around-the-Median.  Median
locations are also useful if you're trying to interpret someone's
(vague, local-landmark-based) directions (such as those typically found
in, say, on-air advertisements).