[OSM-newbies] Tagging POI's: Draw buildings, add points, or both?

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 14 10:50:05 GMT 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 09:40:34AM +0100, Andre Engels wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:09 PM, Samat K Jain <lists at samat.org> wrote:
>
> > You've heard the line don't tag for the renderer, but it follows: don't tag for the router or any other software.
>
> I've heard the line often, and most of the time it is being misused.
> As it is here. Don't tag for a specific renderer, don't tag
> incorrectly for the renderer, but DO tag for renderability. DO tag for
> routability. In my opinion, a phrase that is so widely misused would
> do better not to exist at all.

As someone who uses navit, I would also ask that people bear in mind
that makes changes that suddenly stop it (and other osm sat nav programs
like gosmore) being able to route is really undesirable. I agree in principle
that our tagging should not be unduly influenced by the deficiencies and
inevitable compromises of renders & routers, but Andre is absolutely
right above.

ael