[OSM-newbies] Tagging POI's: Draw buildings, add points, or both?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 10:55:24 GMT 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Samat K Jain <lists at samat.org> wrote:
> You've heard the line don't tag for the renderer, but it follows: don't tag for the router or any other software.

Ok, this line has finally reached its ultimate in silliness: "Don't
tag for...software". Can we ditch it, please?

To answer the question:
>But with regards to applications that use the data for routing and searching, is it better to
> 1) tag the information in the building shape, to drop a point on the map,
>2) or to draw a shape, tag it as "building" with no other information and then drop a point on top of it where the information about the business is included?

There's third option:
3) tag a rectangle with the business/amenity information covering its
entire property, with smaller shapes inside tagged as building=yes

All three options are ok, IMHO. I generally do the third, unless the
business is entirely contained within one building, when I tend to do
2.

I guess semantically it just seems to me that a building is not a
business. A business inhabits the building, but perhaps only
temporarily.

Steve