[OSM-newbies] Tagging POI's: Draw buildings, add points, or both?

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 11:04:48 GMT 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Samat K Jain <lists at samat.org> wrote:
> On Monday, December 13, 2010 10:34:31 am Kenneth Pardue wrote:
>> Now that the Bing imagery is available, it's much easier to see and draw the outlines of buildings.  I think it looks really nice in my home town to have the building shapes available on the map.  But with regards to applications that use the data for routing and searching, is it better to tag the information in the building shape, to drop a point on the map, or to draw a shape, tag it as "building" with no other information and then drop a point on top of it where the information about the business is included?
>>
>> Or, am I completely off base by drawing the buildings at all?
>
> You've heard the line don't tag for the renderer, but it follows: don't tag for the router or any other software.

You've misunderstood the meaning of the phrase. It is well documented
on the wiki at

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Don%27t_tag_for_the_renderer

In summary, "Don't deliberately tag incorrectly for the renderer".
None of what has been discussed is deliberately incorrect, they are
all correct and it is a matter of opinion and consensus as to which
would be preferred.

Cheers,
Andy