[OSM-newbies] updating OSM?

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Thu Jul 8 10:41:52 BST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Maloney" <maloneybob at gmail.com>
To: "James Ewen" <ve6srv at gmail.com>; <newbies at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2010 12:03 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-newbies] updating OSM?

> James Ewen wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 7:11 PM, James Ewen <ve6srv at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I'm going to add detail to Lake Skemonto... have a look and see. Your
>>> homework will be to make a new lake... go north east a bit, and add in
>>> Little Long Pond. I'll be watching to see how you do! 8)
>>>

>> Oops, that one's already in there... How about a real easy one? Spring
>> Pond?
>>
>> James
>>

> Well, I tried and am totally frustrated with the POTLATCH editor. I picked
> Turkey Lake. I  zoomed in  to get  more detail. The lake did not fit
> totally on the screen. I then started to plot the lake presuming I could
> pan the image to continue. I had a lot of problems panning. When I was
> able to pan, all the points that I had generated disappeared and turned
> into a blue line. I then exited and started over. I must have done this a
> dozen times before giving up.
>
> I then tried Lake Nawahunta which was small enough to fit on the screen
> when I zoomed in. I had simlar problems. Halfway around the lake, I would
> do something and all the points that I created turned into a blue line. I
> then would exit and start over and it would happen again.
>
> I have read the primer and watched the video tutorial on the editor to no
> avail.

Bob

Firstly may I say how sorry I am to hear you are having problems, it must be
extremely frustrating that your first efforts to use OpenSteetMap have been
so disappointing.

Although its not much help, I would say that the particular problems you are
experiencing do seem very unusual.

Panning should be a relatively simple process:
  1) either user the arrow keys or your keyboard; or
  2) simply left click the mouse button and hold it down, and then simply
drag the mouse in the direction you want to go.

However at times of high load on OSM servers / Yahoo servers / or general
internet, it is possible that the data could not be served back to you quick
enough, which gave the impression that nothing was happening.

You say you "zoomed in to get more detail"  - this is good.  But I wonder
did you zoom in far enough?  At lower zoom levels more data has to be
downloaded from the OSM servers, which could again cause delays.  Although
it increases the amount of panning necessary I would suggest you zoom in to
level 16 or 17, (to see you zoom level while editing , hover the mouse over
the edit tab, and look at the status bar of your browser, it will have a URL
ending with zoom=??

I'm very confused about the comment "all the points that I had generated
disappeared and turned into a blue line" - I don't suppose you could
accidentally have hit the "1" [number one] key, which would have activated
the preset for highway=motorway which shows as a blue line?.

Perhaps you could tell us what browser you are using, what version of flash,
and what operating system.

Regards
David Groom