[OSM-newbies] Cannot save using POTLATCH

Bob Maloney maloneybob at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 14:06:58 BST 2010

James Ewen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Bob Maloney <maloneybob at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I couldn't figure out how to automatically convert the GPX trace.

> the editing window open and the email open as well, so you can follow
> along. If you are editing with save, you can play without changing the
> real database. Just click the box that says Convert GPS Tracks to ways
> when you enter the edit mode.

 Where is the box that says "Convert GPS tracks to ways" ? I cannot find
it on the EDIT screen.

>> A question concerning standards for naming a road, hiking path, etc. The
>> Nawahunta Fire Road is a woods road probably built in the 1930's.
>>

> Is it called Nawahunta Fire Road? Then that's what it should be named
> on the map.
> You can get into details about the type of track by adding another tag:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Tracktype
>
> This is probably a tracktype:grade5
>

>> It is only
>> open to park vehicles for emergencies.
>>

> Now you're talking about permitted uses. That's different than the name.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Restrictions
>
> Also, is there a gate across the road to restrict vehicular traffic?
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Barrier
>

>> This  road is closed to everyone but the park
>> employees. However, it is tagged as a "residential road" and to me it shows
>> on the map as a road everyone can ride on. I believe that the data for it
>> was probably automatically downloaded from the US CENSUS TIGER fileswhich
>> are notoriously inaccurate. I believe the same taf should apply to the Fire
>> Road and Baileytown Road. What should it be? I can change the Fire Road, who
>> can/should change Baileytown and many other park roads?
>>

> Well, the OSM map belongs to all of us. It is a crowd sourced project.
> Those Tiger roads were input by an automated import. If you look at a
> Tiger road, it probably has a reviewed:no tag on it. That means that
> someone needs to look at the real world, and see if the road exists,
> and is accurate.
>
> >From where I sit, I think this way is not real.

> It runs perfectly straight over a mountain, and across a stream. It
> doesn't show up in the satellite photo either, but a photo can be
> older than a newly created road. If you have more accurate information
> than is in the OSM database, make the changes. You just want to make
> sure that your information is accurate, and not copied from a
> restricted source.
>
> It would be bad form to go deleting a road because you don't remember
> it being there, and then later driving along, and finding that you
> deleted a road that was just built last month.

Those roads around Bailey Town do exist. I cannot be sure that they are
correctly placed on the OSM. I may have dated GPX files for parts of
them and will check out their accuracy. The roads predate the YAHOO map,
They date back to the 19th century. However, they have not been active
for about 80 years. Tree cover may hide them on the Yahoo map.
> If you KNOW things are wrong, fix them. I drew Queensboro Lake, but if
> you think my outline is wrong, you're free to fix it.

I will try and determine a standard for tagging all the Park roads
whether they predate the park or were built by the park. I will pass the
standard. I alsu need a standard for hiking trails do divide them
between named, blazed trails and unnamed, unblazed but walkableetrails.
I will look at MAP features and try to come up with something.

The Appalachian Trail and the Long Path (blazed hiking  trail from NYC
to  almost the Canadian border) pass through the park.  Parts of them
are shown on the map. I have time stamped GPX files of some parts that
are not shown in OSM. I will add and connect to what is there if possible.

One last thing, I see that the Nawahunta Fire Road does not show all the
way to Route 6 in higher zoom levels. In lower zoom levels, it goes all
the way. I believe the reason for that is that in the northern most part
the points for the way are more sparsely spaced than in the southern
part. How do I add points between others in the way/

Thanks again,

Bob

 .,