[OSM-newbies] no render one thing

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Sat Nov 27 23:55:46 GMT 2010

On 27/11/2010 09:25, Jonathan Bennett wrote:
> On 27/11/2010 06:35, Steve Bennett wrote:
>> Not sure why Jonathan got in a flap over it.
> Mostly because it's not geodata, and it doesn't belong in the main
> database, but also because accidents like this one do happen. A large
> object like an outline can have adverse effects on a renderer or
> editor, which is one of the reasons the coastline isn't rendered at
> the same time as the rest of the data.
>
> There are also other annoyances like if you download a small area that
> the outline crosses in JOSM, do some editing then press "1" to zoom
> back to all the data you downloaded, it now zooms to a massive area
> instead of the small one you're interested in.

If this is the case, then it's a weakness of the editor & not a valid
reason to exclude meta-data. It should be able to clip around the
boundary you downloaded.

> Also, no-one has ever explained what use these outlines are. If you
> want to see if some set of imagery covers an area you're editing, you
> can just look at the imagery. What does having the outline achieve?

I edit at zoom levels greater than z17, the most detail level at which
most (all?) background layers display. I'm surrounded by Yahoo, but not
directly over my area so I don't, by default, have it turned on because
it has adverse effects on the editor. I use these meta boundaries to
remind me I'm entering a usable image area as I enter a long way, such
as a river.

> So given that it does some harm, and appears to have no benefit,
> that's why I'm against outlines appearing in the main DB. By all means
> save them as .osm files and save them on the wiki or in SVN, but not
> in the DB.

Are you really expecting the typical mapper to be able to want/need to
understand SVN? If so, then I believe you are misguided.
Remember, you are posting on the Newbies forum.

Cheers
Dave F.