[OSM-newbies] 'Tags of new changeset' tab in JOSM

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 18 22:24:34 BST 2011

On Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:31 PM, "Bob Hawkins"
<bobhawkins at waitrose.com> wrote:
> I continue to explore and discover more elements of JOSM as I become more
> proficient.  I have not ventured previously into the 'Tags of new
> changeset' tab that is in the 'Upload data' window.  In addition to my
> upload comment, I see the Key, 'created by'  and the Value, JOSM/1.5
> (4399 en_GB) of which I was not aware.  The JOSM version is correct, but
> the Java version is not - it should be 1.6, confirmed in Help>About.  I
> should appreciate someone's explanation of this situation and remedy.

The 1.5 is the JOSM version you are using, not the Java version.
But JOSM doesn't really use the version number, it seems its been
version 1.5 for a few years now. What actually matters is the build
number, ie the 4399. I think there is a new build every night, so this
number will be increased. And some of the builds are released as tested
versions, which should be stable with major bugs removed.
See http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Releases

So basically, there's nothing to worry about, the created_by tag is
correct, though perhaps a little confusing if you're not familiar with
the JOSM release system.

Craig
--
  Craig Wallace