[OSM-newbies] Tablets

Russell Tiedt rustysbbs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 14:59:14 GMT 2012

On 2012/01/19 11:44 PM, Jo wrote:
> I got a 7" HTC Flyer. It has a pen and it can be upgraded to Android
> 3.2. I was a bit disappointed with the fact I couldn't map from the
> bus. The processor is fast enough for normal sorts of operation, but
> 'live editing' proves to be too much for it, when using Vespucci. So
> now I'm back to using the traditional way of recording a GPX with POIs.

The tablets, that I been considering, are the Motorola ZOOM, and the
Galaxy Tab (8 inch version), so I'll hold off on tablets for now, unless
a absolute bargain comes up.
> On foot editing works fine. I'm still looking for a safe and
> convenient way to carry it though. A large 'hip pocket' is probably
> going to win there... you know those kangaroo pouch types of bags.
> There does not seem to be a way to connect a safeguard string to it
> tough. I'd hate it if it were to drop to the ground. So I'd also like
> to hang it around my neck, like an expensive camera, but I'm not sure
> if it's still possible to hold it far enough away from me to use it's
> touch screen... or to take pictures with it. The leather pouch I
> bought for it has magnets in it, which interferes with the compass
> functionality. The compass direction is not stored in the picture
> anyway though.
> I didn't try it yet by bicycle (too cold here this time of year), it
> fits in the transparent top compartment of the bicycle steering bag,
> but then it's not possible to make geotagged photos with it anymore...
> I would advice against editing while driving a car though. It's
> extremely distracting. At best you could use it to route and then make
> voice notes with another device. But even that might draw away your
> attention from the road too much to still drive safely.

The safe and convenient way to carry a tablet is what makes me consider,
the smaller tablets, as this is also a concern here. Well, I still want
to test my iPhone, with Bluetooth headset as a voice recording device,
and use the tablet for static editing and note taking

       I suppose the phone has micro USB if that exists.

> When charging it from a USB port on a computer, that USB port can't
> supply it with enough current to actually recharge the batteries while
> it's in use. I have no idea how it would do on a cigarette lighter
> converter.

A powered USB hub might be a better choice for charging, if a normal
wallwart charger is not available ...

> I have a 'foldable' external keyboard that connects to it by
> bluetooth, this works fine, but I'll have to 'enhance' the software
> before I can become as productive with it as I am with my WM6 HTC
> phone atm, for adding POIs.

Understood.

> For some silly reason I can't use the tablet to make phone calls (even
> though it has 2 microphones and 2 speakers) and there is no DUN
> solution to allow to use the phone as a modem to connect to the 3G
> network. So now I find myself swapping the SIM card back and forth all
> the time, missing incoming calls when it's in the tablet. I'll need an
> extra SIM card with a good data plan. Here in Belgium that means
> MobileVikings.

Not sure what the problem might be there, but that does not make much
sense, to me ...

> I hope this helps. It's probably wise to wait a bit longer until the
> software and hardware specs improve.
>
> Polyglot

Thanks, for your reply, as, now I will, look more carefully at the
abilities of the tablets, than I might normally have done.

Regards,

Russell