[OSM-newbies] Tablets

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 15:44:38 GMT 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
> It doesn't include a car charger and the small USB connector is not the
> standard one, one finds on most devices. It's of a different kind than the
> one on my Nokia X2 phone as well. Same size as mini USB. I suppose the phone
> has micro USB if that exists.

Yes, this is called micro USB.

Quoting from http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/micro-usb-will-be-phone-charger-standard-by-end-of-2011-50002592/,

| | The European Commission has now agreed with 14 major mobile firms
-- including Apple, RIM, Nokia, Samsung and Sony Ericsson -- that a
new standard charger, based on the micro-USB model, will be rolled out
by the end of 2011. Three European cheers!

| | The European Commission decided enough was enough back in 2009 and
this very real threat to our comfortable lives was to be abolished
once and for all. The 14 manufacturers signed up to a 'memorandum of
understanding' (because they like to pretend they're the Mafia) and
agreed that a charger based on micro-USB was the way to go.

> When charging it from a USB port on a computer, that USB port can't supply
> it with enough current to actually recharge the batteries while it's in use.
> I have no idea how it would do on a cigarette lighter converter.

Devices that charge over USB are meant to be able to detect whether
they are connected to a computer (or hub) in which case they negotiate
to be allowed to draw up to 500mA (in 100mA steps) or to a "dumb"
charger, in which case they may assume being allowed to draw up to 1A,
so it might well do better on the charger (cigarette lighter
converter).

__John