[Osmf-talk] Chairman

Nick Black nick at blacksworld.net
Mon Aug 3 13:22:33 UTC 2009

Good question, Richard.

I would be happy to be Chairman, if I was nominated by other Board
members, or by the community.  However, I don't intend to put myself
forward for the position right now.

A good Chairman needs to have earned the respect and trust of the
Board and the community they serve.  They need to have a broad
overview of affairs - probably not getting too bogged down in one
matter or working group, but helping put discussion from other working
groups into context.  They are also the figure head of the community -
so they need to be able to represent themselves and the project in
public.  Most importantly they need to keep driving a vision of the
project - a vision that they should keep in check with the community
at all times.  I think these are the core qualities.  Chairmen can
also be driving forces behind day to day things, like getting minutes
done, driving meeting agendas, checking deliverables from other Board
members and working groups - but I don't think these qualities have to
be in a chairman, so long as they are present in other members of the
Board.

So I've totally dodged you question ;-)  As an OSM-F member, I'd like
to hear some more from the other members and Board members about what
they are looking for in a Board members, and whether they intend to
stand?

--
Nick