[Osmf-talk] Chairman

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Mon Aug 3 13:39:54 UTC 2009

On 3 Aug 2009, at 14:22, Nick Black wrote:

> Good question, Richard.
>
> I would be happy to be Chairman, if I was nominated by other Board
> members, or by the community.  However, I don't intend to put myself
> forward for the position right now.
>
> A good Chairman needs to have earned the respect and trust of the
> Board and the community they serve.  They need to have a broad
> overview of affairs - probably not getting too bogged down in one
> matter or working group, but helping put discussion from other working
> groups into context.  They are also the figure head of the community -
> so they need to be able to represent themselves and the project in
> public.  Most importantly they need to keep driving a vision of the
> project - a vision that they should keep in check with the community
> at all times.  I think these are the core qualities.  Chairmen can
> also be driving forces behind day to day things, like getting minutes
> done, driving meeting agendas, checking deliverables from other Board
> members and working groups - but I don't think these qualities have to
> be in a chairman, so long as they are present in other members of the
> Board.
>
> So I've totally dodged you question ;-)  As an OSM-F member, I'd like
> to hear some more from the other members and Board members about what
> they are looking for in a Board members, and whether they intend to
> stand?

I agree with Nick's assessment of the qualities required, and that the
role is mainly about ensuring that the board performs well as a whole
rather than getting too involved in each decision.

I am not putting myself forward for the role and would suggest that
the allocation of chairman is decided after the elections by the board
itself when it knows who is on the board.

Regards,

Peter