[Osmf-talk] Chairman

Henk Hoff henk at toffehoff.nl
Mon Aug 3 21:45:14 UTC 2009

2009/8/3 Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>:

> The reason I ask specifically about the Chairman is that they can't
> help but steer OSMF, not least by the very mundane and unenviable job
> of chairing meetings. I've served on boards in the past which have
> drifted due to the lack of a competent chair, and conversely on those
> which have thrived because of a keen, thoughtful one. It's an
> important role.

Choosing a chairman based on his quality of chairing a meeting is not
the number 1 criterium for me. As said before the chairman is the face
of the organisation. He doesn't have to be superman, he only has to be
communityman: inspiring, bringing people together, lending an ear to
the community and giving voice to OSM to the outer world. .... and
also important: able to make decisions.

On chairing a meeting: I've seen organisations where the chairman is
not technically chairing the meetings (someone else was appointed to
precede the meetings), but was in control on what's on the agenda etc.
Positive side on this is that the chairman could be called to order
during a meeting ;-).
So, if communityman is not that swift in keeping a meeting under
control, there are other options.

Just so you know: I'm not actively seeking for the role of chair.

Cheers,
Henk