[Osmf-talk] Chairman

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Aug 4 10:07:58 UTC 2009

On 04/08/09 10:55, Nick Black wrote:

> On 4 Aug 2009, at 08:57, Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> On 04/08/09 08:54, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>>
>>> I guess one has to distinguish between Foundation and community here.
>>> For the Foundation, there might arise situations where "a decision needs
>>> to be taken" (especially when outside parties are involved, e.g. you are
>>> issued a writ and need to respond; an opportunity for funding is about
>>> to expire, etc.), and the decision then picks the path the Foundation is
>>> going to pursue.
>>
>> My biggest complaint about the foundation is it's reluctance to make
>> decisions - they like to punt by saying it's a not a decision for them
>> to make and that "the community" should decide. The problem is that
>> nobody is able to tell me how to ask "the community" for a decision.
>
> Could you give us more examples ?

Well the most recent example that comes to mind was when the foundation
was asked about the question of whether we should expose additional
information about public GPX traces.

The general problem I have however, as the person at the sharp end on
many occasions, is that there seems to be nobody with the power to make
decisions about things. That leaves me, as the person with the technical
power to do or not do many things making the decisions myself and
catching the flak when people don't like the decisions I make.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/