[Osmf-talk] Chairman

Nick Black nick at blacksworld.net
Tue Aug 4 10:16:40 UTC 2009

Tom,

Agree that that is not a good situation.  I'd think that the Technical
Working Group would be the right place to make a decision, or to take
it to the Board if its something that needs more attention.

In this case, the problem was probably because of data protection
stuff.  The OSM-F is not currently data protection registered, so we
are severely limited as to what we can do with any personal data.  For
example, more Board members don't know the names of the people who are
Foundation members.  We are going to register with the UK data
protection people - this adds extra burden (we have to put notices on
the site) but it also allows us to do more, like expose GPX data and
make contact with members.  All permission based, of course.

These kind of administrative things take a while to do in the
Foundation.  Only one person can really fill out the forms and chase
things up, but each of these "little" admin things sucks time from
Foundation Board members who should really be doing more constructive
things.  This is a great example of how a foundation "Adminstrator"
would be able to really speed things up.

--
Nick

--
Nick Black