[Osmf-talk] Eligibility to vote for Wikipedia Foundation

Nick Black nick at blacksworld.net
Wed Aug 12 17:16:01 UTC 2009

Hi Guys,

I'm definitely a supporter of inclusiveness and was one of the
supporters of the "send a postcard" idea that the OSM-F started with.

Ultimately this discussion comes back to the "what is the Foundation
for" debate.  I'm a firm believer that the Foundation is here to
support the development and growth of OSM and our map. After reading
this email, I know that my mind is very open to ideas about how we
qualify members (eg OSM activities or ability to pay the fee) and how
much a fee should be (if at all).

A few things to think about:

* How do we weight the relative values of a) number of members b)
quality of members, in terms of their commitment to OSM c) their
aggregate financial contributions to OSM-F

* I have friends who earn very low salaries but pay £10 per month to
Greenpeace.  Is Greenpeace better off for their £10 a month, or would
they be better to get my friend to write 5 letters a month to MPs or
blockade one power station a year?  They are a well run, international
organization, so I guess they've thought this through and figured out
that the £10 per month is better.  But should the two be mutually
exclusive?

* Lots of online communities get by from donations?  How much do the
OSM-F receive in donations? (I'm writing this offline and can't look
up the finances)  Do non-profits typically raise more funds from
donation drives than from membership fees?

* Eugene (a Philippines OSMer) suggested: "Adjust the £10 per member
fee to reflect purchasing power parity (PPP). If my calculations are
correct, this comes out to £4.38 for the Philippines which is a more
feasible P350."  Would this be a fairer way to collect membership fees?

So, no concrete answers, but things to think about.

--
Nick

Nick Black
twitter.com/nick_b