[Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Aug 20 10:07:13 UTC 2009

On 20 Aug 2009, at 10:51, Tom Hughes wrote:

> On 20/08/09 10:26, Peter Miller wrote:
>
>> Do we believe that the issue of no-monetary membership should be
>> addressed before the next AGM? Incidentally, the concept of
>> 'established
>> user' would also be useful when counteracting vandalism without
>> unreasonably restricting editing rights for new users (ie new users
>> can
>> edit features and add new features, but they can't move whole towns
>> or
>> revert other people's changes until they get 'established').
>
> I don't have any particular feelings either way on the proposal in
> general but from a legal point of view somebody will need to
> investigate the requirements of UK company law.
>
> Certainly we can't make people members without their active consent,
> both because the Companies Act requires it (section 112(2) of the
> 2006 act) and because by doing so they will become liable to pay up
> to £5 in the event of the foundation going bust.

Of course. And this is certainly something that should be noted and
addressed, however I suggest that we first decide what we as a
community want (a we have been requested to do). The foundation can
then discuss the proposal and check the legal position and instruct
their lawyers to tell them how they should achieve what the community
wants. If a small number of guarantors are needed to cover the cost of
winding up then I am sure a number of individuals would come forward
to offer that guarantee.

Regards,

Peter