[Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Thu Aug 20 10:12:38 UTC 2009

On 20 Aug 2009, at 11:05, Nick Black wrote:

> Grant,
>
> I think that the OSM-F membership list should be available for anyone
> to request for their own personal use, in line with the UK Companies
> Act.
>
> My understanding and the understanding of the Board is that because
> the OSM-F is not Data Protection Act registered, we are tightly
> constrained by what we can do with a membership list.  Until last
> night I did not have access to the list.  We can only use it for
> purposes of membership - sending membership reminders is about the
> extent of the actions we can take.  I personally think this is sub
> optimal, which is why I'm working with the other OSM-F Board members
> to get clarification on the DPA and other regulations.
>
> I think the members should have access to the membership list and the
> information that can be inferred from it, but this has to be done
> through the proper channels.

The Foundation is legally required to register under the Data
Protection Act 1998 and failure to do so is a criminal offence:-
"Notification is a statutory requirement and every organisation that
processes personal information must notify the Information
Commissioner’s Office (ICO), unless they are exempt. Failure to notify
is a criminal offence.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/data_protection/notification.aspx

Notification is also very simple and something you can do online here:-
https://www.ico.gov.uk/cgi-bin/dprproc?page=7.html

Regards,

Peter