[Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE

Nick Black nick at blacksworld.net
Thu Aug 20 10:05:51 UTC 2009

Grant,

I think that the OSM-F membership list should be available for anyone
to request for their own personal use, in line with the UK Companies
Act.

My understanding and the understanding of the Board is that because
the OSM-F is not Data Protection Act registered, we are tightly
constrained by what we can do with a membership list.  Until last
night I did not have access to the list.  We can only use it for
purposes of membership - sending membership reminders is about the
extent of the actions we can take.  I personally think this is sub
optimal, which is why I'm working with the other OSM-F Board members
to get clarification on the DPA and other regulations.

I think the members should have access to the membership list and the
information that can be inferred from it, but this has to be done
through the proper channels.

On 20 Aug 2009, at 10:28, Grant Slater wrote:

> 2009/8/20 Nick Black <nick at blacksworld.net>:
>> The unauthorized use of Foundation membership details to pursue a
>> personal
>> agenda - membership details that I have personally been arguing
>> long and
>> hard within the Foundation and the Board should be released
>> publicly - is a
>> new low.
>
> Please Nick this is hardly unauthorised. Frederik is an administrator
> of the OSMF talk list and he has the best interests of a health OSMF
> at heart. He has not released any personal information. As you have
> point out the membership list is meant to be a matter of public record
> already but it is not yet due to failings of the OSMF board.
>
> How else do you believe this matter would have been raised with the
> members? Or do you believe that CloudMade's significant stake in OSMF
> membership is not a cause for concern?

No, I don't think it is cause for concern.  Neither do many of the
other people who have replied to this thread.  I'll only briefly
repeat myself: CloudMade staff are free to vote as they choose, just
as everyone else in the community is.

--
Nick Black
twitter.com/nick_b