[Osmf-talk] International SotM in Germany / money for membership or what else

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 14:14:50 UTC 2009

Lulu-Ann at gmx.de wrote:
> Steve,
>
> for me you have just prooved how narrow minded you are.
> Offering a second language meeting makes the conference more international, not less.
> It's not our fault that you don't understand German. It is our effort to speak acceptable English.

Hello,

without entering in the debate, I am glad that national conferences can
be organized in different languages as it is important to spread the
word. However, I don't consider it to be narrow minded to want something
that is big and potentially with a big impact (after all, the German
community is larger and very active, with very good projects coming out
of it) to be at least partially in English. I am French, and I find it
useful to have a communication language for large events. Whether we
like or not, English is de facto this language. It is la lingua franca
on anything related to the Internet (pun intended).
I would have been lost if you started speaking german during the SOTM
when we were sitting the evening at the same table. Using English at
least allowed us to communicate when you were explaining on why we
should have accessibility maps. I suspect it is as much as it is for you
an annoyance to speak in a language that is not my mother tongue.
That said, I think that having conferences in different countries for
each community is a great idea. After all, Local chapters are trying to
do that kind of things.
I don't think that the use of English is there to restrict the number of
people from participating. I am saying nothing more as I am myself a
strong proponent of translation (I am the one who made the comment on
the last about more globalisation on the map data).

Emilie Laffray