[Osmf-talk] Two day of down server is not possible !!!!

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Aug 22 16:25:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Roberto Navoni<r.navoni at radionav.it> wrote:
> I read on mailing list that the OSM Server is down this week end. I
> don't understand how is possible to do that.
> I think that the Foundation had to solve this possible situation.
> Infact is simple to prepare an a backup server of OSM and change the
> DNS configuration so the OSM user can work on backup server ....  the
> only limit will be that the api is in read only mode.
> Is important to understand that there're a big number of service that
> start to use OSM server for they customers.So is not possible to have
> 2 day of downtime  I think that all around the world is possible to
> prepare some server as backup of primary for this situation. I think
> that the first one will be avaible for the next time that the primary
> server need support.

Dear Roberto,

I'm sorry that you did not see the advance notice of the server
downtime.  We all miss OpenStreetMap when it is temporarily
unavailable.  It is still possible to collect data to contribute to
OpenStreetMap once the servers are back.

If you would like to help the foundation with remote backup services
in future you may find the following information helpful.

OpenStreetMap servers.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Servers

Please note that the following two references are currently down with the API.
Server usage statistics
http://munin.openstreetmap.org/

Data  and database statistics
http://www.openstreetmap.org/stats/data_stats.html

The Foundation board has previously discussed distributing
OpenStreetMap across multiple locations (IIRC) but I'm not aware of
any formal decision to pursue or schedule to implement multiple
hosting.

Best regards,
Richard.