[Osmf-talk] EVERYONE: PLEASE VOTE

Matthias Urlichs matthias at urlichs.de
Sun Aug 23 12:35:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-20 at 11:18 +0100, Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
> >Personally I see no justification for money flowing from the local
> >chapters to the foundation.
>
> My belief is that there is a need for this to happen for two reasons.
> Firstly to ensure that federated members are also members of
> OpenStreetMap Foundation (so that they can vote) and secondly so that
> OSMF actually has some funds from its membership. This is all very
> normal practice and the £10 proposed is probably the lowest reasonable
> amount practicable.

There is no way for e.g. the German FOSSGIS e.V. to pay £10 per member
to the OSMF. At least, not if they want to retain their German
tax-exempt status, as that's a sizeable chunk of the membership fee (€30
-- their student membership is only €10!).

The situation is worse in third-world countries, where ten pounds may
well be your total monthly budget. :-(