[Osmf-talk] License Working Group - license change proposal status

Jeroen Carelse jeroen at carelse.com
Wed Dec 2 07:55:09 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I have started to read the various wiki pages regarding the proposed ODBL and most is clear, till far. But I struggle with the following.
At
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License_FAQ
How will the proposed licence benefit OpenStreetMap?

I read:
"requires those that combine our data with their own data will have to give the latter to OSM. This means we get more open data. Under the current licence, they have to make the end result copiable (such as a map), but not the source data."

What is the exact definition of "own data"

Imagine a situation where I use OSM data and at my site, add the location of my chicken shed, pig stable and my lawnmower, is this the "own data" that you refer to above?

Imagine a situation where I will use OSM data on my site and will place a marker at the local town hall, is that marker location "own data"?

What if I add a popup with text describing the town hall, is the text inside the popup "own data" ?

This for starters, more to come.

Regards,

Jeroen