[Osmf-talk] License Status III

James Livingston doctau at mac.com
Sat Dec 5 13:35:15 UTC 2009

On 05/12/2009, at 11:19 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> My usual response to this is: "I know but PD is an easy term anyone understands. The proper term for many European legislations would probably be 'I grant anyone an unrestricted, perpetual, irrevocable license to use my work in any way.' I doubt, however, that if I say something is PD and someone else uses it and I then sue him saying 'ha ha, I said PD but that was a trick, you should have known that PD does not exist here', that I could make solid legal case from this."

I agree that saying that and then trying to sue someone because it doesn't work where you live would be fairly silly, and anyone doing so should be slapped. However given that the page in question is a "I agree to the above bunch of legalese" one, I'd guess that alternative options should probably be in legalese too.