[Osmf-talk] my views on the ODbL

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at medemail.com.au
Sat Dec 5 21:31:26 UTC 2009

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> The only way to avoid this would probably be orchestrating a massive
> rejection drive against non-relicensed data, including deliberately
> leaving out the data from our map tiles as if it didn't exist. That
> would force people to resurvey missing data more quickly rather than
> having the old stuff stick around, but it could also alienate some.
From an Australian point of view, the government data we have imported is CC-
by-SA. We have no leverage to try to alter this. Getting the data at was a
major concession.
This imported data is huge and has added vast quantities to our database.
My own data covers an area about 500km square where my husband and I have been
almost sole surveyors. That will literally be disappearing towns and villages
if that data is not relicenced.
The proposed licence is not a benefit to Australians in my view.