[Osmf-talk] ODbL and attribution notices on produced works

DavidD thewinch at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 21:33:44 UTC 2009

Hello,

I have questions on section 4.3 of the ODbL

------
4.3 Notice for using output (Contents). Creating and Using a Produced
Work does not require the notice in Section 4.2. However, if you
Publicly Use a Produced Work, You must include a notice associated
with the Produced Work reasonably calculated to make any Person that
uses, views, accesses, interacts with, or is otherwise exposed to the
Produced Work aware that Content was obtained from the Database,
Derivative Database, or the Database as part of a Collective Database,
and that it is available under this License.

      a. Example notice. The following text will satisfy notice under
Section 4.3:

    Contains information from DATABASE NAME, which is made available
    here under the Open Database License (ODbL).

DATABASE NAME should be replaced with the name of the Database and a
hyperlink to the URI of the Database. “Open Database License” should
contain a hyperlink to the URI of the text of this License. If
hyperlinks are not possible, You should include the plain text of the
required URI’s with the above notice.
------

Who does this section apply to? If I use planet.osm to render a map of
my town to an image I guess I need to add the notice to the image. I
then give a copy of the image to my neighbour. Is my neighbour free to
remove the notice and do what he wants with the image?

Also how is this going to work for map renderers? The mapnik tile
server currently allows you to access a tile as a .png image through a
url, for example
http://tile.openstreetmap.org/18/140653/87664.png
Is every tile image going to be watermarked with the notice text or is
access to the tile images going to be locked down?

Why bother with the attribution notice at all? Isn't it a bit unfair
that people working with the data have to worry about attribution yet
nobody using the produced works has to bother?

--
DavidD