[Osmf-talk] Share Alike images

Matt Amos matt at asklater.com
Sun Dec 6 06:52:42 UTC 2009

Erik Johansson wrote:
> Why is it that the rendered images of Openstreetmap data can have any
> license (PD, DRM:ed, etc),  shouldn't images be share alike? If
> someone is using something that is Free, the work they produce should
> also be Free.
>
> It makes no sense to me, but I'm sure some one can provide
> arguments/wiki pages that says something insightful.

i've tried to put some reasons here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Why_You_Should_Vote_Yes#It_protects_the_data.2C_not_the_images

but it basically boils down to: my view is that, if someone is using
something that is Free, they should have to make available any
improvements they make to that Free thing. the work they produce likely
contains significant investment of their own, so they should be able to
benefit from it.

a similar argument could be made for using Free programs. improvements
to the program should be Free, but work produced using it probably
shouldn't.

cheers,

matt