[Osmf-talk] Share Alike images

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 00:33:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Erik Johansson wrote:
>>
>> Anything that was CC-By-SA is always share alike, the ODBL leaves that
>> SA philosophy altogether.
>
> No, not leaves it altogether - reduces it to data.

Being able to remix is the spirit of CC-by-SA, so this is a huge
change for me.  So It seems no one has a good argument for removing
Share Alike from the license.

If being able to use rendered images of their own "geodata" isn't
important for most people, then I could reconsider. But with the
current voting we have no way of knowing what people think of this.

> Everyone "controls" the map he makes. Even today, if you are unhappy with how OSM
> data is represented on a map, CC-BY-SA doesn't magically make different maps
> appear.

CC-by-SA does make my maps magically appear in a way that is
"guaranteed to be" usable for me. The only way CC-by-SA doesn't
magically produce is that it doesn't give me access to the style
sheets you used to create your map, which btw ODBL doesn't do either
even though it's a database (or?).

And yes I think all of you who says Openstreetmap is just about the
database are wrong, it has always been about the creativity in
creating a map and the biggest product of this is the rendered map.

Regards.
Erik Johansson

PS. Thanks Oliver for putting it in a clear way