[Osmf-talk] Share Alike images

Matt Amos matt at asklater.com
Mon Dec 7 00:53:56 UTC 2009

Erik Johansson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Erik Johansson wrote:
>>> Anything that was CC-By-SA is always share alike, the ODBL leaves that
>>> SA philosophy altogether.
>> No, not leaves it altogether - reduces it to data.
>
> Being able to remix is the spirit of CC-by-SA, so this is a huge
> change for me.  So It seems no one has a good argument for removing
> Share Alike from the license.

you're referring to share-alike on the images? the proposal isn't
suggesting removing share-alike on the data, it's suggesting adding it.

i've already stated my argument for removing share-alike requirements on
the creative output of other people. you clearly don't think it is
"good". ;-)

> If being able to use rendered images of their own "geodata" isn't
> important for most people, then I could reconsider. But with the
> current voting we have no way of knowing what people think of this.

being able to use images of our own geodata rendered by other people
isn't important to me. what is important to me is that the geodata
itself remain usable, open and free.

the current voting includes a survey, one question of which is how do
you feel about "requir[ing] maps, map tiles and other items created from
OSM data to be available under a fixed, viral license." you probably
want to choose "strongly want" for that.

>> Everyone "controls" the map he makes. Even today, if you are unhappy with how OSM
>> data is represented on a map, CC-BY-SA doesn't magically make different maps
>> appear.
>
> CC-by-SA does make my maps magically appear in a way that is
> "guaranteed to be" usable for me. The only way CC-by-SA doesn't
> magically produce is that it doesn't give me access to the style
> sheets you used to create your map, which btw ODBL doesn't do either
> even though it's a database (or?).

i'm pretty sure the stylesheets aren't a database. even if they were,
they're an input to the renderer, not a derivative of the OSM data, so
they wouldn't have to be released.

> And yes I think all of you who says Openstreetmap is just about the
> database are wrong, it has always been about the creativity in
> creating a map and the biggest product of this is the rendered map.

that's your point of view, but i've always felt that the data is far
more important than the map for two reasons; i can recreate the map from
the data, and a lot of effort goes into creating a really good map which
i think should be rewarded.

cheers,

matt