[Osmf-talk] Share Alike images

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 01:27:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:53 AM, Matt Amos <matt at asklater.com> wrote:
> Erik Johansson wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> No, not leaves it altogether - reduces it to data.
>>
>> Being able to remix is the spirit of CC-by-SA, so this is a huge
>> change for me.  So It seems no one has a good argument for removing
>> Share Alike from the license.
>
> you're referring to share-alike on the images? the proposal isn't suggesting
> removing share-alike on the data, it's suggesting adding it.
>
> i've already stated my argument for removing share-alike requirements on the
> creative output of other people. you clearly don't think it is "good". ;-)

Rendering a map is about a creative as mapping a village, so no I see
no value added  by combining a stylesheet with "geodata". The product
of that process is probably always copyrightable even though there is
no creative process in it.

Without the work of all contributors there wouldn't be any map, and if
you don't value that enough to license a rendering of my map in a way
that I can use it then you are a leech, and I don't see why I should
let you use my map.

> what is important to me is that the geodata itself remain
> usable, open and free.

That is important, sadly many people are not bothered by their data
being entered into closed databases.

>> it has always been about the creativity in
>> creating a map and the biggest product of this is the rendered map.
>
> that's your point of view, but i've always felt that the data is far more
> important than the map for two reasons; i can recreate the map from the
> data, and a lot of effort goes into creating a really good map which i think
> should be rewarded.

The data is completely useless without a rendered map, unless you are
an anal retentive packrat, and it's ok I like collecting data as much
as I like making maps. But when I actually have to use them it's good
to know that people will share their progress in using your anal
retentiveness so that it's actually useful.

I know very few people that can recreate the map, you and Frederik
might both be able but very few people can.

/Erik