[Osmf-talk] Contributor Terms: is the right to fork granted?

Niccolo Rigacci osm at rigacci.org
Mon Dec 7 11:29:02 UTC 2009

I think that the right to fork the project is a goal that the
Foundation should assure.

I think that I will refuse the new license if that imply that I'm
less free to fork the project (just in case of evilness).

I read the Contributor Terms from the Proposed License [1], where
"You grant the OSM Foundation a copyright and database rights
license for the bits of data that you add".

The draft of the Contributor Terms from the wiki [2] says
instead: "You hereby grant to OSMF and any party that receives
Your Contents a worldwide, royalty-free...".

I think that "and any party that receives Your Contents" makes a
big difference: in a case only OSMF has rights, in the other case
anybody who downloaded the planet. Am I right?

Another point: why point 3 of Contributor Terms (sub-license and
license change) is just about OSMF? Why do not extend it to "any
party that receives Your Contents"?

[1] http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/File:License_Proposal.pdf
[2] http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Contributor_Terms

--