[Osmf-talk] New license proposal status II

Matija Nalis mnalis-openstreetmap-osmflist at voyager.hr
Tue Dec 8 01:14:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 09:12:08PM +0100, Mike Collinson wrote:
> Discussion has picked up again on this list so each License Working Group
> member will respond individually with their own personal views. Since we
> may be giving the impression that we acting as a bureaucracy with a
> slick(?) marketing policy, I hope this will demonstrate that we, like OSM
> and OSMF in general, represent a very wide range of views and why we are
> recommending what we think is the best route to both evolve a rational
> license and to maintain contribution to a single and expanding set of
> data.

Firstly, let me thank everyone in LWG for their selfless effort put into all
this. No matter if people like the license or not, you have given your time
to make it the best you can. Thanks.

> http://www.osmfoundation.org/images/3/3c/License_Proposal.pdf
>
> We've also documented how we think backup should proceed - saving the last
> CC BY SA dataset and dealing with data from contributors that cannot be
> offered in an ODbL version:
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Backup_Plan>http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Backup_Plan
> . This is an evolving wiki page, so we welcome comments and refinements.

I have a question about procedure, for which I haven't found answer either
at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Implementation_Plan
or in the mailing lists (although I might have missed it, there are tons of
discussions and wiki pages).

The question is: provided OSMF members give >50% "yes" vote for the license
change, is there any "abort percentage" if the non-trivial number or OSM
contributors is against change ?

(I see that "week 9" and "week 13" might have some slight touching on the
subject, but I would like more clear answers if there are available)

For example, if (unlikely I know) 95% of the OSM contributors in phases
before "week 9" say they do NOT want to relicence to ODbL, would the license
change action be aborted for the time ? Or would 95% of the data be archived
and deleted, and OSM active database started practically from scratch ?

What about if 45% of the OSM contributors do not accept ODbL relicence? What
if only 10% do not accept ? And what if that 10% of the users actually made
60% of the nodes/ways/relations on the map ?

So the question is, are there any set limits (and if so, what are there), or
it will be decided in that moment if that happens (and how ? by LWG ? Board
members ? OSMF members simple majority vote ? OSMF members 2/3 vote ? or some
other way) ? Or will the change proceed no matter what the casualties ?

Thanks,

--
Opinions above are GNU-copylefted.