[Osmf-talk] New license proposal status II

Henk Hoff henk at toffehoff.nl
Tue Dec 8 01:54:54 UTC 2009

2009/12/8 Matija Nalis <mnalis-openstreetmap-osmflist at voyager.hr>

> I have a question about procedure, for which I haven't found answer either
> at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Implementation_Plan
> or in the mailing lists (although I might have missed it, there are tons of
> discussions and wiki pages).
>
> The question is: provided OSMF members give >50% "yes" vote for the license
> change, is there any "abort percentage" if the non-trivial number or OSM
> contributors is against change ?
>
> (I see that "week 9" and "week 13" might have some slight touching on the
> subject, but I would like more clear answers if there are available)
>
> For example, if (unlikely I know) 95% of the OSM contributors in phases
> before "week 9" say they do NOT want to relicence to ODbL, would the
> license
> change action be aborted for the time ? Or would 95% of the data be
> archived
> and deleted, and OSM active database started practically from scratch ?
>
> What about if 45% of the OSM contributors do not accept ODbL relicence?
> What
> if only 10% do not accept ? And what if that 10% of the users actually made
> 60% of the nodes/ways/relations on the map ?
>
> So the question is, are there any set limits (and if so, what are there),
> or
> it will be decided in that moment if that happens (and how ? by LWG ? Board
> members ? OSMF members simple majority vote ? OSMF members 2/3 vote ? or
> some
> other way) ? Or will the change proceed no matter what the casualties ?

There is not a distinct answer to your question. We could get into a lot of
what-if scenario's. The problem with those what-if scenario's is that
reality is always different. That's why the "week 9" and "week 13" are in
the timeline, to give us a feeling of the direction of the most likely
scenario and act accordingly.

Although one clear answer I can give you: the change will not proceed no
matter what the casualties.

You will be able to follow the progress during the acceptance fase.

Cheers,
henk