[Osmf-talk] License with or without virus

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Tue Dec 8 21:38:19 GMT 2009

Taking a few points:

On Dec 8, 2009, at 2:33 PM, 80n wrote:
> Not one single case has been presented where the intent of the CC BY-SA license has been abused.

It took what, 3 decades or something for the GPL to be tested in court. You want to wait for that, or be proactive?

In the meantime we have plenty of people avoiding OSM because of all the ambiguities, stretching back to ITN and before.

> It's OK for you to admit that you don't have any actual cases to back up your assertions that CC BY-SA doesn't work for data, but it's not OK to use OpenStreetMap as an example of it not working because it quite clearly has worked very well for over five years.

Horses and carts worked so well, why did people move to motorised vehicles? Because they were better.

> Do you think OSM would be anything like as successful as it is if the license totally didn't work?

I think social pressure can hold things together only so far, and that's what we're relying on.

Yours &c.

Steve