[Osmf-talk] Proportion of OSM data represented by foundation members

Brian Quinion osmfoundation at brian.quinion.co.uk
Fri Dec 11 11:49:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Andy Robinson (blackadder)
<blackadderajr at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 90% of the data is contributed by 10% of the contributor base
> and if there are around 30,000 contributors then 10% would be 3000
> contributors of which say 250 are OSMF members (assuming all members are in
> the top 10%). So 8.3% of 90% of the data might be by members, or about 7.5%
> of the total holding? But I'm probably being over generous here and I'd
> guess its probably a lower percentage and quite likely skewed by the big
> TIGER import.

I guess this isn't as useful a question as I thought. I hadn't
realised that the imports had biased it by such a huge amount or that
there were (comparatively) few Germans in the foundation.

I'd still be interested in a definitive answer but the various
approximations have too wide a range to be very useful.

Cheers,

--
Brian