[Osmf-talk] Results of OSMF Member Vote

Graham Jones grahamjones139 at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 27 20:24:19 UTC 2009

I did cast my vote in this ballot, but came very close not to doing so
because I found the attitude on both sides of the very long debate quite
off-putting, with people who made quite reasonable sounding suggestions
being given very abrupt replies.   I think this included a suggestion that
we should define an acceptance threshold for the licence change to go
ahead.   I also got very bored trying to follow the arguments, and didn't
have time to try to check the validity of the points made.

That said, in the end I voted for the proposal because it seems to me that
the difference between ODBL and what we have now is so small that I find it
hard to believe that many contributors will really refuse to change.  (I see
the Public Domain or otherwise debate as a separate issue).

Matija's point is very valid though that we ought to know what we would do
if a 'significant' proportion refused to re-licence their data - it would be
silly to split the project, or lose a lot of people's contributions just for
this change (which as I say is in my mind very small).   I therefore support
the proposal that we define a cut off for how much data we are willing to
lose for the change to go ahead.

Graham.

Dr. Graham Jones
Hartlepool, UK