[Osmf-talk] Results of OSMF Member Vote

Sun Dec 27 23:01:11 UTC 2009

Matija Nalis wrote:

>>   Approval rate: 89%
>>   Turnout rate:  55%
>
> Those numbers frighten me very much, if we are to proceed with ODbL
> implementation plan as charted.
>
> I would actually expect OSMF membership to be *more* interested in the
> license change issues than the average OSM contributor

I think that's, at best, a misguided judgement and at worst a
dreadfully arrogant one. Just because licence issues exercise you or
me doesn't mean that anyone else is remotely interested in them. IME
most people just want to go and map: a 55% turnout is actually pretty
good.

> Even *much* better results (like "only" 20% of the map being destroyed)
> would be IMO too horrible to justify the advantages the clearer license
> brings.

IYO indeed. I would prefer a usable, clearly licensed dataset of n
objects to an unlicensed, unusable dataset of n*2 objects. Google's
dataset is many times bigger than ours but without a usable licence it
is nothing.

cheers
Richard