[Osmf-talk] OPENSTREETMAP FOUNDATION - NOTICE OF ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING

Ed Freyfogle edf at sloan.mit.edu
Wed Jul 29 13:12:25 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 13:40, Richard Weait<richard at weait.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 7:24 AM, Nick Black<nick at blacksworld.net> wrote:
>> I think the issue here is that we all want to have a balanced Board
>> that represents the interests and wishes of the membership.  People
>> will naturally be concerned when there are several people on the Board
>> from one 'bloc'.  That blog could be a company, a country, or a
>> viewpoint.
> [ ... ]
>> In short, I think that the sentiment behind Richard W's post is well
>> placed - he wants to ensure we have a balanced Board that represents
>> the interests of the OSM community.  But the method for achieving this
>> that he suggests is not appropriate.  Rather than impose restrictions
>> on the democratic process, we should be working to strengthen it.
>
> Most (all?) democratic jurisdictions permit only one vote per person,
> per elected position.  Is that a restriction on the democratic
> process?  Yes, it is a restriction, but one that supports the
> democratic principles.
>
> The European Commission consists of one representative per member
> state (plus the rotating president).  Have they restricted the
> democratic process?  ;-)  Of course not.
>
> Some counter questions then.  For democracy.
>
> How would a board composed entirely of employees / contractors /
> directors of a single company benefit the foundation and the community
> at large?  Is that monolithic board desirable?  Even if the company is
> Ordinance Survey?
>
> If a monolithic, single company, board is not desirable.  If seven of
> seven board members paid from the same pot is not a benefit to the
> community then where would you draw the line?  What is the maximum
> number of board members that should be permitted from a single
> company?
>
> My answer; one delegate per company.

Again though, define "company". Currently paid employees?
Shareholders? (BTW I own some Nokia shares, so does that make me an
invalid OSMF member? I bought them before they got into geodata,
honestly, so I think I'm still morally sound) Consultants?
Past-employees (I believe several of the current nominees have at one
point or another taken money from the OS for consulting)? It's
impossible to draw the line.