[Osmf-talk] Open the foundation to new members

Lulu-Ann at gmx.de Lulu-Ann at gmx.de
Thu Jul 30 13:56:55 UTC 2009

Hi Nick,

you wrote
> By the end of 2010 we should be counting foundation members
> in the 10,000s.

and
> Before you vote for a Board member - try and meet them in person or
> talk to them on the phone and figure out if you trust them.  Talk to
> them about their other interests (everyone has other interests) and
> find out how they would put their interests aside and make decisions
> that represent you and your OSM community.

See the contradiction? You can't talk to them all!

Many users are not members of the foundation because they are not able to communicate in English so reliably that they dare to vote.

I think:
* The foundation needs to have the pages translated into many languages - why not have moderated translatable pages in the wiki?
* The persons who want to be elected need to have profiles that say something about their ideas and their voting plans, not only about their bio. I have read all bios and there was not a single line about the new license, for example.
* The candidates need fotos on their pages, so I can remember them if I met them.
* The foundation needs bank accounts in the most importand countries, so the fear that the money is stuck in the transfer to the other country is lost.
* The foundation should have nice presentations for download about what they did last year and what they are planning to do next year. Visualize!

About the limitation of professionals in the foundation's board I think
there should be a simple majority of members without finantial interest, but I don't know if you can forbid any member to start a business after being elected.

Regards
Lulu-Ann
Hannover, Germany